St. Joan of Arc/WAMM Peacemakers Committee
The St. Joan of Arc (SJA) / WAMM Peacemakers group is not only a WAMM committee but also a Peace & Justice Ministry at SJA.
The group has been gathering at the SJA parish (4537 3rd Ave. S., Mpls) for almost
20 years. Meetings are on the 4th Tuesday of the month.
As described on the "Peacemaking" web page at the SJA web site, the goals of the
- To rediscover early Christian teachings and practices regarding war and the military in order to understand how our church turned away from the nonviolent practices of Jesus.
- To provide education and to engage in action that promotes peace and opposes militarism.
- To oppose militarism through direct nonviolent actions.
- To encourage Saint Joan of Arc parishioners of all ages to embrace nonviolence.
More information about the Peacemakers' structure and purpose are available at
Our activities have included the following:
- Provide outreach to SJA parishioners on topics of peace & war (e.g., tabling about specific issues at Sunday masses).
- Host the bi-monthly meetings of the "Every Church A Peace" organization.
- Discuss various readings that either address war and peace and/or promote
the principles of Catholic Social Teaching.
- Lead the effort to rededicate the SJA parish as an international peace site through World Citizen.
- Meet with staff at a local Catholic high school that has military instruction (a voluntary program) - to hold a dialogue with them on why a Catholic learning institution has classes on war, which is antithetical to Catholic Social Teaching.
Meetings: 7 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of every month.
Location: St. Joan of Arc Church, Parish Center, 4537 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN
Contacts: Bill Adamski: 612-926-8459, firstname.lastname@example.org
Barbara Cracraft 612-722-4444, email@example.com