Ground All Drones Committee
The mission of WAMM’s Ground All Drones Committee (GAD) is to educate and take action regarding the local, national, and international dangers posed by drones (unmanned aerial vehicles). Focus is directed toward the use of weaponized drones by the U.S. military and CIA:
- Armed drones are used by the U.S. to kill combatants or assassinate designated individuals during wars (including U.S. citizens killed on foreign soil under Presidential order without due process).
- Armed drones have killed and will kill civilians (“collateral damage”) in areas near targeted individuals or locations.
- U.S. drones, during recent years, have killed individuals in seven nations – Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Somalia, Syria, Yemen.
WAMM’s Ground All Drones Committee educates about drones:
- GAD organizes and sponsors traditional educational events with guest speakers knowledgeable about specific drone technology and regional destruction. Past guests have included Medea Benjamin, Cheryl Daytec, Brian Terrell, Mubarak Zeb.
- “Drone Warfare and the Cyborg Soldier: Margins of Masculinities” presented by Suzanne Al-Kayali, WAMM Director
- GAD prints and distributes informational leaflets, such as “Drone Statistics,” which contrasts the numbers of deaths caused by drones as officially reported by the U.S. White House with the numbers reported by the independent Bureau of Investigative Journalism.
- GAD distributes “No Killer Drones” stickers and informational leaflets at various community events and locations:
- Farmers’ Markets in the Twin Cities area
- May Day Festival and Parade, and other community festivals and fairs
- Peace Bridge Vigil – Wednesday afternoons, Lake Street/Marshall Avenue Bridge over the Mississippi River.
- GAD holds family-friendly events, “Fly Kites, Not Drones,” providing kites that children may decorate, fly, and keep, while engaging in public conversation about drones.
- GAD offers “Drones 101,” a multimedia presentation with basic information about drone technology, capacities and uses. The program is available and has been presented for high school classrooms, religious congregations and community groups.
- GAD simplifies outreach to the President and Congressional Representatives by printing and offering postcards for individuals to sign which call for the government to end the deadly U.S. drone assassination programs.
- GAD displays the handmade “drone quilt,” with squares decorated by WAMM activists, to state the names and ages of some of the child victims killed by U.S. drone attacks in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Ground All Drones Media:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/wammgroundalldrones/
- Blog: http://groundalldrones.blogspot.com/
Meetings: Monthly, First Thursday from 4:45pm-6:00pm Location: WAMM office, Suite 3, 4200 Cedar Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN Contact: WAMM office, 612-827-5364